Respiratory Therapist - PRN
Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation
Per Diem(As needed)
We currently have an opening for a PRN Respiratory Therapist at our Rehabilitation Hospital in Lakeway. Our hospital is located in Lakeway Texas in the scenic hill country on the southern shores of Lake Travis. Lakeway is a resort community about 25 miles west of downtown Austin. The city offers an outdoor lifestyle with a 65 mile long lake, golf courses, tennis courts, marinas, a private airport, 100 acres of parkland hiking and biking trails, and nearly 500 acres of greenbelts.
Select Medical complies with state and federal wage and hour laws. Minimum Hourly Pay: $38/per hour
Our Respiratory Therapists practice in an acute care environment where their skills are utilized and they see the results and outcomes of providing quality patient care.
You'll be working with patients with trachs, vents, CPAP machines and BiPAP machines.
This position exists to perform basic and advanced therapeutic procedures as outlined by the State
Department of Health and under the scope of respiratory care services. Transcribes and implements
physician orders in a competent and timely manner. Uses basic and advanced oxygen assessment skills
and patient information to maintain awareness and coordinate patient care needs.
- Selects, cleans and assembles equipment to perform and monitor basic respiratory procedures.
- Performs advanced life support procedures including tracheal intubation using independent
judgment in coordinating patient's respiratory care plans and needs with the physicians, nursing,
and ancillary staff
- Draws arterial blood gas samples and communicates all results to the physician and nursing staff.
- Confers with physicians to formulate and coordinate alternative forms of therapy according to
- Initiates and adjusts mechanical ventilators according to physician orders. Upon proper initiation of
mechanical ventilation; maintains patient ventilator circuit, integrity of ventilation, and
troubleshoots and corrects associated problems with mechanical ventilation.
- Initiates patient ventilator weaning procedures under the direction of the physician.
- Acts as assistant to the physician during pulmonary procedures including but not limited to
bronchoscopy, pleuocentesis and ENT evaluations.
- Performs basic spirometry, reviews data and properly places accumulated data in the patients chart
for physician review.
- Performs basic tracheostomy care including but not limited to routine and emergent tracheostomy
- Monitors patient's respiratory status using competent bedside assessment skills and maintains
awareness of patient pH / electrolyte balance, ABG values, renal, neurological, and orthopedic
functions as applicable to the delivery of respiratory care.
- Collaborates in the planning of patient care within the interdisciplinary team.
- Coordinates and initiates patient and family education when indicated.
- Maintains all respiratory therapy equipment both durable and disposable in a safe and efficient
- Initiate and conduct therapeutic procedures and modify prescribed therapeutic procedures to
achieve one or more specific objectives.
- The Respiratory Therapist is an essential part of the Rapid Response Team and is expected to attend
and participate in bedside assessments and urgent care of patients who may be developing or
having a medical emergency.
Qualified candidates must be RRT with current state licensure.
Minimum Skills, Knowledge & Abilities (including licensure, certification and other job-related
1. Education: Associate Degree required, Baccalaureate Degree preferred.
2. Current and valid state licensure.
3. Registration by the National Board for Respiratory Care (RRT) required.
4. Previous and recent Critical Care experience preferred.
5. Certified BLS completion required; for new hires, see CPR Requirement Guidelines for New Hires.
6. Certified ACLS completion preferred.
Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation, a joint venture between Baylor Scott & White Health and Select Medical, carries a well-known reputation for patient care and exceptional quality outcomes. We serve all people through exemplary healthcare, education, research and community service. Since opening in 1981, our flagship inpatient rehab hospital in Dallas has received repeated recognition by U.S. News & World Report as one of the best rehab hospitals in the nation. All of our inpatient hospitals are accredited by The Joint Commission, including specialty accreditation for our stroke rehab programs. And for five consecutive years we have been recognized as a “Best Place to Work” by the Dallas Business Journal.
With the combined expertise of our joint venture partners, Baylor Scott & White Rehabilitation has become one of the most recognized and largest rehabilitation providers in the nation. We have continuously grown in size, scope and excellence across North Texas, and in the summer of 2018 our footprint has expanded to include new partners in Central Texas. With this expansion, we have more than 2,300 talented, caring and compassionate team members working in the following environments:
- 4 inpatient rehab hospitals (free-standing)
- 2 inpatient rehab units in Baylor Scott & White Health acute hospitals
- 9 acute therapy units in Baylor Scott & White Health acute hospitals
- 87 outpatient therapy locations (and growing)
- A home health division covering all of North Texas
Select Medical is an equal opportunity employer committed to dealing with employees in a nondiscriminatory manner and based on job-related qualifications and abilities. The Company will recruit, hire, train, and promote all persons without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, veteran status, age (40 and over), marital status, disability or history of disability (except where physical or mental abilities are a bona fide occupational qualification) or any other protected status.
To complete your application on another device, simply send it to yourself here. We do not store this email or use it for any purpose other than forwarding this job to the name and email that you designate.