Supervisor, Inpatient Coding
The Inpatient Coding Supervisor is responsible for supervisory direction, organizing and coordinating the daily operations of the Inpatient Coding team in collaboration with the Director of Coding to ensure consistent productivity and efficient operations. The Supervisor monitors productivity and coding accuracy and ensures compliance with inpatient coding job competencies. They monitors compliance with documentation standards required for accurate and thorough coding; investigates, evaluates and identifies opportunities for documentation improvement; and provides guidance to hospital CEOs, medical staff and others regarding compliant documentation practices required for accurate reimbursement and statistics.
- Supervises personnel.
- Develops and implements performance feedback.
- Fosters teamwork and employee engagement.
- Assists with completion of annual employee evaluations.
- Documents and enforces coding policies and procedures, along with the workflow process.
- Contributes and implements ideas and suggestions to solve problems and improve procedures; and practices fiscal responsibility through improvement and innovation.
- Prepares workload and attendance reports and participates in department management studies, as well as data quality reviews or other documentation audits
- Keeps knowledge of coding and DRG assignment current by reviewing federal publications and other reference materials for changes in regulations and practice guidelines.
- Interacts with CEOs, Case Managers, Health Information staff, Human Resources and Data Quality.
- Proven work experience in a supervisory role.
- Strong organizational skills, explicit attention to detail, and understanding of the link between accurate coding and appropriate reimbursement.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all staff levels and to handle conflict.
- Ability to withstand pressure of continual deadlines and receipt of work with variable requirements.
- Ability to manage projects from concept through implementation.
- Proficiency with Microsoft programs (Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
Preferred, but not required:
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in health information management or related field is preferred.
- Current credentials of Registered Health Information Technologist (RHIT) or Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) preferred.
- Experience in inpatient coding, DRG assignment and reimbursement methodologies preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of medical record content and use of computer-based coding software, such as encoders and abstracting software.
Select Medical is committed to having a workforce that reflects diversity at all levels and is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment, and employees are treated during employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
To complete your application on another device, simply send it to yourself here. We do not store this email or use it for any purpose other than forwarding this job to the name and email that you designate.