Critical Illness Recovery Hospital
Medical Lab Assistant - Per Diem
Who we are:
At Select Specialty/Regency Hospitals, a division of Select Medical, we care for chronically and critically ill or post-ICU patients who require extended hospital care. Select Medical employs over 48,000 people across the country and provides quality care to approximately 70,000 patients each and every day across our four divisions.
Our mission is to provide an exceptional patient care experience that promotes healing and recovery in a compassionate environment. Each employee plays a vital role in doing that by living our cultural behaviors - celebrating success, owning the future, being patient-centered, creating change, thinking first and building trust.
Do you love the challenge of working in a dynamic environment? Are you passionate about delivering an excellent experience to your team? If you answered 'yes', consider an opportunity with us.
You will deliver superior quality in all that you do and you will treat others as they wish to be treated. You are a results-oriented team player who is resourceful in overcoming obstacles. You are an inventive problem solver.
Under the general supervision of the Laboratory Manager, the Laboratory Assistant will be responsible for having a working knowledge of all pre-analytical processes of laboratory services provided by Select Medical, which may include, but is not limited to specimen processing and phlebotomy services.
- Follows laboratory protocols for pre-analytical processes.
- Adequately prepares specimens for send-out to reference lab testing.
- Advises Lab Manager of malfunctioning equipment, LIS issues, and any unusual situations, occurrences, conditions, or reactions.
- Performs venipuncture when necessary
- Monitors venipuncture inventory and reports inadequacies to the Lab Manager.
- Performs phlebotomist duties according to established standards, practices and procedures, while utilizing proper techniques and equipment in the performance of duties.
- Follows appropriate PPE requirements while performing duties, gathers supplies and assembles equipment according to standards of practice, and assures equipment is clean and functioning properly.
- Confirms patient identification using two identifiers, performs phlebotomy and collects appropriate specimens as indicated on the test requisition.
- Properly identifies and labels specimen(s) at the patient’s bedside after matching patient label on the wristband to the patient label being affixed to the specimen.
- Notifies the nursing staff regarding any issues or concerns noted prior to, during, and/or following the procedure, as well as any patient refusal and/or inability to obtain patient sample and documents accordingly.
- Verifies specimen collection, centrifuges and processes specimens as needed.
How you will succeed in this environment:
You are attentive to detail and organized, focused on being a customer-service oriented team member.
- Successful completion from a School for Medical Technology or Medical Laboratory Technician.
- Associates Degree in Medical Laboratory Technology is required.
- Current certification from one of the following: The American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP), American Medical Technologists (AMT), American Association of Bioanalysts (ABB), The National Credentialing Agency of Laboratory Personnel (NCA), or another approved agency.
Preferred qualifications that will make you successful:
- One (1) year of clinical laboratory experience preferred.
Your benefits as a Medical Lab Assistant:
Select Medical strives to provide our employees with a solid work-life balance, as we understand that happy employees have both fulfilling careers and fulfilling lives beyond our doors.
- Work jointly with an interdisciplinary team.
- A 401(k) retirement plan with company match.
- Short and Long Term Disability.
- Personal and Family Medical Leave.
We'd love for you to join the team!
Select Medical is committed to having a workforce that reflects diversity at all levels and is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment, and employees are treated during employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
To complete your application on another device, simply send it to yourself here. We do not store this email or use it for any purpose other than forwarding this job to the name and email that you designate.