Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation
West Orange, NJ
Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation is seeking a Board Eligible or Board Certified physiatrist for full-time employment. The successful candidate will have a strong interest in inpatient and outpatient neuro-rehabilitation. In addition to general PM&R practice, there are a variety of specialty programs the interested candidate may pursue. Research and teaching opportunities are also available.
Kessler Institute offers a competitive salary and incentive program, as well as faculty appointment in the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School.
Founded in 1948, Kessler Institute has long been recognized for its pioneering leadership in the field of medical rehabilitation – and is currently ranked #2 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report. The hospital, in collaboration with Kessler Foundation, is one of only seven centers across the country to be designated as a Model System for the treatment and research of both traumatic brain (TBI) and spinal cord injuries (SCI). Accredit by the Joint Commission and CARF (SCI, TBI, stroke, amputation and general rehabilitation), Kessler Institute also offers comprehensive programs for complex medical, stroke, orthopedic trauma, neurologic diseases, cancer and cardiac recovery.
Provides clinical direction at the Kessler West Orange location, to include patient care, program development and professional standards in their designated area. Coordinates, as appropriate, with research and education areas.
- Performs initial evaluation on each patient to determine patient’s need and ability to participate in the rehabilitation process
- Plans appropriate treatment program for the patient within the guidelines established by the Medical staff
- Initiates prescriptions to be followed by the appropriate therapy units, and modifies that prescription as indicated by the patient’s response to therapy and his/her medical condition
- Serves as the primary physician to the inpatient hospital during his/her rehabilitation program
- Conducts periodic re-evaluations of each patient to determine progress and indication for change or discontinuance of treatment
- Prescribes appropriate prosthetic and orthotic devices as indicated. Checks for proper fitting of such devices.
- Keeps complete medical records of all services provided and the patients’ progress
- Counsels patients’ relatives in the proper techniques of care and the needs of the patient and other family education
- Interacts with community-based referral sources, i.e. physicians, social workers, rehabilitation nurses, insurance companies, DVR counselors, etc., to facilitate patient care and patient referrals
- Performs other duties as requested
Minimum Education & Experience (Including Licenses)
- Graduate of medical school recognized by Council of Medical Education and Hospitals of the American Medical Association
- Board eligible or certified in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Current and valid license to practice medicine in the state of New Jersey
Overview of Select Medical Inpatient Rehabilitation Hospitals
Select Medical’s Inpatient Rehabilitation Hospitals provide advanced treatment and comprehensive care to best address the medical, physical, emotional and vocational challenges for individuals with:
- Brain Injury
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Neurological Disorders
- Orthopedic Conditions
- Multiple Traumas
Select Medical is committed to having a workforce that reflects diversity at all levels and is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment, and employees are treated during employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
To complete your application on another device, simply send it to yourself here. We do not store this email or use it for any purpose other than forwarding this job to the name and email that you designate.