Unit Secretary - Baylor Rehab - Dallas - Full Time - 3pm-11pm
Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation
We are currently seeking a Unit Secretary to work from 3pm-11pm Monday - Friday.
Choose to be an integral part of a team that helps patients achieve their greatest potential and work toward productive, independent lives. The Unit Secretary position exists to organize clerical functions of the nursing unit, including communication, record keeping, logs, and patient information. Notifies the nursing staff, charge nurse and/or supervisor in a timely manner of pertinent patient information, including physician orders, laboratory or test results, and communication from other departments.
Employees in this position will:
- Act as a receptionist for the nursing unit, answering telephone calls, patient lights, and greeting and assisting visitors and staff. Answers questions and/or assists in problem solving or re-directing people to the proper resource.
- Organize and update all patient charts including proper forms with proper labels, posting orders for validation by the nurse or charge nurse, assuring proper order of charts, and thinning charts when indicated according to guidelines.
- Assemble new patient charts including proper tagging and identification, forms, stickers, and admission packets for use by clinical staff including nurses and physicians.
- Process admissions, discharges and transfers, including computer entry and census information under the direction of the nurse and/or supervisor.
- Review physician order sheets for new orders, initiates the necessary paper work assuring that no order is implemented until it is signed off by a nurse.
- Enter data into the computer to update patient records, generate orders, print reports, and maintain data under the direction of the nurse.
- Notify other departments as well as medical staff and consulting medical staff of new orders or requests for services according to established processes.
- Arrange appointments for patients under the direction of the nurse.
- Maintain supplies in support of the nursing unit including secretarial supplies and forms as well as equipment rentals or other special purchases in collaboration with the charge nurse/supervisor or the CNO.
- Assist with patient call lights, patient transportation, and patient care needs when needed and in accordance with their training and skill.
- Make copies and performs any clerical support activities to assure efficiency and provide support to the clinical staff.
- Cross-train and serve as a back- up for Admission Coordinator when needed.
- Perform other duties as requested.
Minimum Skills, Knowledge & Abilities (including licensure, certification and other job-related credentials)
- Education: High School Graduate or equivalent required.
- A minimum of 1 year clerical experience in a medical setting preferred.
- Proficient skills with computers, software and office equipment.
Certified BLS completion required
Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation, a joint venture between Baylor Scott & White Health and Select Medical, carries a well-known reputation for patient care and exceptional quality outcomes. We serve all people through exemplary healthcare, education, research and community service. Since opening in 1981, our flagship inpatient rehab hospital in Dallas has received repeated recognition by U.S. News & World Report as one of the best rehab hospitals in the nation. All of our inpatient hospitals are accredited by The Joint Commission, including specialty accreditation for our stroke rehab programs. And for five consecutive years we have been recognized as a “Best Place to Work” by the Dallas Business Journal.
With the combined expertise of our joint venture partners, Baylor Scott & White Rehabilitation has become one of the most recognized and largest rehabilitation providers in the nation. We have continuously grown in size, scope and excellence across North Texas, and in the summer of 2018 our footprint has expanded to include new partners in Central Texas. With this expansion, we have more than 2,300 talented, caring and compassionate team members working in the following environments:
- 4 inpatient rehab hospitals (free-standing)
- 2 inpatient rehab units in Baylor Scott & White Health acute hospitals
- 9 acute therapy units in Baylor Scott & White Health acute hospitals
- 87 outpatient therapy locations (and growing)
- A home health division covering all of North Texas
Select Medical is an equal opportunity employer committed to dealing with employees in a nondiscriminatory manner and based on job-related qualifications and abilities. The Company will recruit, hire, train, and promote all persons without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, veteran status, age (40 and over), marital status, disability or history of disability (except where physical or mental abilities are a bona fide occupational qualification) or any other protected status.
To complete your application on another device, simply send it to yourself here. We do not store this email or use it for any purpose other than forwarding this job to the name and email that you designate.